Spray painted headboard | How About Orange

September 09, 2013

Spray painted headboard


This weekend I did a little spray painting. Behold the new bright-red headboard for our guest room. The color is "Safety Red" by Rustoleum Enamel. Because we like our guests to feel safe and have no trouble locating their bed.


This inexpensive, light-weight (you can lift it with two fingers) headboard has held up well for 13 years, but we just bought a different bed and this guy is moving to the guest room. It's got a fake wrought iron paint job that is fancy but no fun.




I didn't prime first since the bed has a rough texture already and it seemed like paint would adhere well. First I tried some Krylon Indoor/Outdoor spray paint in Gloss Tomato. It ended up looking coral and the coverage was pretty bad. The picture above shows how far one can got me. The paint seemed thin and prone to running if I accidentally got the can too close.

Rustoleum enamel had worked great on some curtain brackets I sprayed in just one coat, so I went to Lowes and bought 3 cans of Safety Red.


The color was super vibrant, the paint adhered wonderfully and never ran, and the coverage was terrific. I used two cans and just a tiny bit from a third. Rustoleum enamel doesn't come in as many colors as Krylon, the only downside. But I definitely prefer it.

P.S. It now looks like I have sunburned feet, as they were well-misted during the painting process. That's one way to get a spray tan.

23 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the red! Great job!

Grandma G said...

Oh, I'm so glad I'll feel safe next time I come! I was terrified the last time. Heheh. Does it glow in the dark, too? ;)

Mum

TJ (Phunkblog) said...

This is fabulous! So bright & fun :)

Unknown said...

I don't just like it, I LOVE it!

Jessica Jones said...

No glowing in the dark. Sorry, Mum. We tried something new in that room--since there are no overhead lights or lamps by the door, we put in a motion-activated night light. So it will light your way to the table lamp. We slept in there last night to test it. Unfortunately it came on whenever I kicked the covers off or stuck my foot out to cool off, waking us up.

Fail. :)

Grandma G said...

Oh, dear. Guess you need a Plan C. Whatever that might be.....

Lucille K said...

Wow, a "shocking" red headboard, just love it :)

Anonymous said...

love it! I remember seeing a red bed years ago and still love it!

Sarah @ *Tadaam! said...

Excellent idea, great color, well done !

Luisa said...

Awesome awesome awesome! I love it! It looks so much nicer in the red.

annie dee said...

Love the color! Photo of the "sunburned" toes, please?

Lee said...

I'd love to change my headboard's colour soon. It's yellow, but it isn't a tone I like. A bright yellow would be better.

http://www.achicklitdiary.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

When I see a picture of you (which is rare), I always expect your hair to be a lovely shade of orangey-red, in other words, a "carrot top." I am alway surprise (and a little disappointed) that you aren't. P.S. kudos on the bed's new look!

Kim said...

Nice, fun sprucing-up up project. I'm normally not a red person, but that came out great! Awesome job!

Jessica Jones said...

Annie Dee, sorry, my feet have returned to their normal ghostly white tint. I scrubbed off most of the red in the shower. It was fun to see a tangible result of exfoliating. Kind of like when you're a kid and you eat that pink dye so the dentist can show you all the plaque on your teeth.

LuRae, sorry to disappoint! Maybe I should spray paint my head?

Jeze said...

Safety Red is the absolute BEST! Love the headboard!

joan.ekimball said...

What kind of camera do you use for all these lovely photos?

Jessica Jones said...

A Canon Digital Rebel XSi.

Sarah Courchesne said...

Very nice! I'll keep the Rustoleum recommendation in mind next time I've got a similar project up my sleeve. Love your blog by the way! Been a reader for a while and finally figured I could pipe up once in a blue moon.

I need orange said...

I'd suggest a serious respirator when spray painting. Spray paints contain some truly awful stuff.

Jessica Jones said...

Hello, S. Courchesne!
To I need orange, thank you for the suggestion, and I like your user name. :)

kristimontague said...

Looks awesome! Oh, and I discovered by accident that baby oil takes spray paint right off without scrubbing. I used to walk around with spray paint on my hands for days in college and now I feel like an idiot when I could have gotten it right off! :)

Jessica Jones said...

Good to know for next time!!