The parlor rug game, part 2 | How About Orange

November 08, 2013

The parlor rug game, part 2


Remember when I was trying to pick a parlor rug in the middle of the night? I cancelled the one I ordered. I just didn't love it enough. And then I got busy with other things and the search stalled. The other day I resumed the hunt and amused myself by plunking down more rugs on the floor of my little Photoshop mockup.

I ended up ordering the navy patterned one above (this, also available here— I wonder what color the beige part really is!) Not everyone's taste, I know, but I think I'm going to like it. It's really similar to the others I was looking at, but the pattern is a little more intricate. I can see myself using it with lots of different-style furniture for years to come, and I love bold, contrasty geometric prints. Especially two-color ones. (Like, to a fault.) But of course, hours after I placed the order, I got a message saying this rug is on back order at all retailers and will ship in early December. So much for my "let's have carpet for Thanksgiving" plan. I mean, on the floor, not to eat. So I guess I will wait. In the meantime, I can make some chair pillows. Color TBD.

Here were the other contenders, just for fun.


Nice, but there's already a dark blue one in the living room. (I'll show you when I'm done messing around in there.) I don't need two dark blue rugs. (This one's available here.)


Too similar in color to the loveseat. (Available here.)


I like. But too retro for the furniture? (Available here.)


Love this rug. But I want bolder. (Available here.)


Too much blue. Awesome pattern, though. (Available here.)


Too flowery. Alex would have a conniption. (I lost the link; still looking!)


Kind of cool. Or kind of ugly. I'm not really sure. (Available here.)


Just okay. (Available here.)


Oriental? I can't quiiiite pull the trigger. Too traditional for my taste, even though it suits the house. (Available here.)

So now I wait. In the meantime, I guess I'll make some lampshades, paint a table, paint and wallpaper the dining room, and hang some more curtains.

23 comments:

Grandma G said...

Whew! I'm glad you didn't ask us to choose... too tough a decision!

Maybe it'll come sooner than predicted... ya never know, y'know!

Mum

Susan Harris said...

Good choice on the rug! I would love a tutorial on lampshades. I have a few old ones that are too beige (and with a few holes) and I really would like to redo them with something more crisp or bold.

erica barraca said...

id love to know your sources! im in the same condundrum! only i need a 9x12 rug! gah!

Id love to know where you got the one you picked (it looks great by the way) and the second one (the blue and white chevron-ish one!) thanks!

Amy said...

Oh, man! So many choices. I really love the flower one!

Needle little Balance said...

I find the new rug much nicer than your first choice. Maybe they are able to send it earlier. But I also like the one where you said it´s too similar to the love seat. I think that one makes the new upholstered chairs really stand out (which I like)-and it is aqua- which is never wrong.

Christina said...

My favorite is the one you picked, but the orange one is a close second. I LOVE it! Definitely not too retro (IMO).

Michelle said...

I love the one you chose!

Kathryn F. said...

Can you say where you got the one that was "too much blue... but awesome pattern"? I love it so much!

lp said...

You definitely picked the best one. It'll be worth the wait.

Kim said...

Fun post!! I like the orange geometric rug! But I also like the one you decided to purchase... good choice!

Jessica Jones said...

I've added links to the post. I guess I didn't save the floral one, but will try to find it.

Becca said...

You nailed it! None of the contenders even comes close. The "room" looks great.

Stacia, Paper Swallow Events said...

Some of these rugs are amazing! I love the one you chose and the orange one is pretty amazing, too. I could look at rugs all day trying to pick one.

Unknown said...

Great choice!

Anonymous said...

Do you know buyarearugs.com? I have been looking at rugs with my daughter and your selections here made me think of some I'd seen there. You might check it out.

http://www.buyarearugs.com/rugs-tra-2117-04-215-xgx.html

http://www.buyarearugs.com/rugs-tra-3080-04-43-xgx.html


http://www.buyarearugs.com/rugs-0739-236-xgx.html

carole

Lora said...

Your commentary made me laugh! I am shopping for a rug for my dining room - right next to the living room with an orange rug so I wanted blues for the dining room. I think you did your shopping for me, I love several of these!

Megumi said...

Your choice is right. I like it the best as well. Others are fine, but do not go well with other items. I wish I could have my own house in the future!

cara mengobati ambeien said...

nice design

obat darah tinggi said...

nice post

Unknown said...

I was wondering what application you used to digitally display your room? Or did you just photoshop it?

Jessica Jones said...

It's just Photoshop. I had a bad photo of the room and then pasted in some of the product shots from websites, plus photos of my chairs with new fabric mockup up on them digitally.

mhgraphicdesign said...

#1 sang to me when I saw it. I literally saw it and said that fits!

Jessica Jones said...

Hooray!!!