Sewing book: Happy Home | How About Orange

June 13, 2012

Sewing book: Happy Home

Chronicle Books has recently released Happy Home: Twenty-one Sewing and Craft Projects to Pretty Up Your Home by Jennifer Paganelli, the designer behind Sis Boom Fabrics. I peeked at a review copy from the publisher and snapped pix of my favorite projects: a duvet cover with piping, a pleated bed skirt, patterned boxes, and floor-length drapes.

Make them with Sis Boom fabrics if you adore an explosion of candy-colored florals and wish you lived in a garden. Or choose geometric prints and lots of solids if you love a modern look and wish you lived inside a Room and Board.

Many, though not all, of the book's projects are classic enough that you can achieve any decorating style by switching out fabrics. That's the beauty of sewing it yourself— you can make it exactly how you like it instead of settling for what's in the store. Plus you'll be so proud you can hardly stand it. I remember the first time I sewed a pillow out of fabric I designed. I thought my head was going to explode, I was so pleased.



Other projects in the book include party bunting, pillows, a tote, an apron, laundry bag, dog bed cover, pillowcase, fabric-covered headboard, and bed canopy. Written instructions are accompanied by illustrated diagrams, and a couple of printed sewing patterns come in a pocket inside the front cover. Bright, cheerful photos of finished projects are peppered throughout. Happy Home is available here at Amazon.

12 comments:

tinajo said...

Seems like a great book - and I agree that the good part is getting it as I want instead of following other peoples taste, that's why I try to make things myself. :-)

Jessica Jones said...

Yes! Or else I get my Mum to make it for me, according to my specifications. :) I'm lazy and far less skilled than she is.

Christina said...

Wow, that's a lot of floral. I love being able to sew my own decorating accents too.

Grandma G said...

"Or else I get my Mum to make it for me" ... uh huh! :)

Mum

Jessica Jones said...

Riiiiiight?? Looking forward to my new skirt. Followed by my new satchel. Followed by my new jacket. Followed by...

Grandma G said...

Waaaaait!! "Jacket"?!?

Jessica Jones said...

Someday! I think I ordered a pattern last year, right?

Grandma G said...

Oh, that. I hadn't gotten any "orders" to go with it, so you scared me. Thought maybe you had something up your sleeve that I didn't know about yet!

Let's see how the skirt fits first......

Courtney @ Sweeter Than Cupcakes said...

Just finished the laundry bag from the book. Love it!

Dominik said...

The photos are fantastic!!

US Webbing Supplier said...

Look at all those colour explosions! I've gotta get me that book. :)

able mabel said...

that looks like my type of book!!