Pattern review: Bucket Bag | How About Orange

November 21, 2011

Pattern review: Bucket Bag

My mom, known to you guys as frequent commenter Grandma G, just finished sewing up a Bucket Bag from Keyka Lou's PDF pattern. She used Skiff in Dawn from my Outside Oslo fabric collection and lined the bag with some Artee cotton duck in Turquoise.

The pattern has an oval bottom, so it really is sort of like a bucket—a cute one with a big pocket on the outside and a nicely proportioned strap. Mum added a magnetic snap since a closure is always nice. And I love the button with its coordinating scallops.

My niece Courtney, who creatively modeled the bag after Mum finished it, stated that the fabric looks like trimmed fingernail bits. Excellent. Exactly the look I was going for.

Mum writes:
"It was a pleasure to sew a bag from a pattern that didn't have me tearing my hair out because it was so complicated! I really enjoyed making this bag. The instructions were very detailed, yet clear and easy to follow in a numbered, step-by-step format, with photos to illustrate every step.

I would highly recommend this pattern for anyone just beginning to make bags. It'll get you started in the right direction and you'll learn a lot about the bag-making process. I'd also recommend it for more experienced bag makers, just because it's easy and fun! And no matter your skill level, you'll end up with a very cute bag. I love the shape of it as well as just the overall look.

The next time I use this pattern, I'll probably add a pocket or two inside. Also, I might skip the darts on the outside pocket, because unless something is stuffed into those dart areas, they tend to have a dented/dimpled look (kinda like a bra that's not quite filled out, y'know?). I'd trim the pattern piece so that it remains the same shape, just minus the darts."

Purchase the Bucket Bag pattern right here, and check out other Keyka Lou designs here. All patterns are available for instant download, and most are a mere $5.00 through 11/27/11!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute!

unrelated: fabric sighting in real simple magazine!

http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/decorating/lamp-shade-00100000069146/index.html#3

Jessica Jones said...

So fun! I saw it in the print version but didn't see it online. Thanks for the link!

Lindsay @ A Walk in the Closet said...

This is adorable! I love the fabric that you used, too.

tinajo said...

Super cute - I´d love to try! :-)

DianeY said...

I love this pattern, too. I've made it 4-5 times already-3 for Christmas gifts. I did inside pockets, as well & lengthened the strap a little-it seemed a little short on me

Rebecca said...

Great bag! Love the bottom corners!

КАТЯ КУ said...

Отличная сумочка!Очень понравилась!

Sarah said...

I like the bag! And the pattern is totally cute - I thought waves, not fingernails. :) I may have to buy that bag pattern too.

Grandma G said...

Well, at least you got rid of the closet door knob. It did bug me. ;)

Mum

Bek said...

haha, your niece is too cute!

As is that bag! Good collaboration there :)

Emily said...

Great bag and review! Still laughing about the fingernails and bra comment.

Jessica Jones said...

Yeah, they cracked me up, too. :)

Mum, sorry, your doorknob had to go. It looked like Courtney was wearing a giant gold pirate earring.

Live a Colorful Life said...

Keyka Lou patterns always get such great reviews. This is great! (And the button is perfect.)

CitricSugar said...

Thanks for the review - and it looks great in your fabric!

Anonymous said...

Thuper cute!

tictaczo.blogspot.com

aL_and_Co said...

very nice ! I love it !

Anonymous said...

What a nice bag. I like the colours!

Jacey said...

So cute! Keyka Lou's patterns are fun, at least the ones I've tried. It always makes me happy to see your fabric.

Rose Clearfield said...

The bag is really cute. I love the coordinating button, too. How nice of your mom to make this and review the pattern!

Connys Cottage said...

great .
I like it

Conny

Unknown said...

Is the bottom piece time consuming been sewing for years but wondering about the bottom :)

Grandma G said...

Gosh, Benita... it's been so long since I made the bag that I really don't remember. But since I said in my review that it would be a good pattern for a beginner, I doubt that it would be very hard or take too long to sew in the bottom oval, if that's what you meant.