Mom made me oven mitts | How About Orange

September 13, 2010

Mom made me oven mitts

Look what my mom, AKA Grandma G, just mailed me: oven mitts made from my fabric! When she suggested the project was so easy I could make them myself, I refused and begged her to do it since things are more special when made by one's mommy. (That depends on the mommy, I suppose, but I happen to like mine and she's an excellent sewer.)

If you want to make a pair, see Mum's notes:

"I combined a couple of tutorials to make these oven mitts. I used the pattern and most of the instructions from Skip to my Lou. I liked her suggestion of cutting everything into rectangles first and then doing the quilting before cutting out the mitt shape. It worked very well.

Like savvyseams.com, I tried the idea of stitching the mitt together only halfway around before attaching the seam binding. I think that made it a little easier to sew the binding on without having to work inside the small circle formed by sewing the entire mitt together first.

The only thing I would do differently next time would be to finish the seams (I zigzagged them) before sewing the two mitt halves together. I did it after sewing them, and it made for a bulkier edge to sew on, plus I couldn't sew all the way to the end of the one seam where the binding went on because it was pressed open at that point. I used an overcast stitch to sew those ends by hand to prevent raveling.

Both tutorials were easy to follow, and probably the hardest part of the whole project was turning the thumbs right side out when they were finished."

Each mitt is lined with a layer of Insul-Bright and a layer of Warm & Natural batting, available at Jo-Ann Fabrics.

30 comments:

Rose Clearfield said...

Cute!! My mom is awesome at sewing, too, so I occasionally recruit her to make projects for me as well. :)

AJ said...

So sweet! And great fabric, too :)

Tiaz said...

those mittens are nice :).

Give away on
loadingdarling.blogspot.com

Grandma G said...

Your mommy's glad you like her!

Mommy

Amy @ Increasingly Domestic said...

What a great mommy you have! Those are adorable! I love the orange.

Kris @ everywhereorange.com said...

i LOVE LOVE LOVE these oven mitts!!!!! the fabric is beautiful!

ChunkyPineapple said...

Wow! Those oven mitts are super cute!

- Michelle
http://chunkypineapplesf.blogspot.com

katie said...

aww, your mom did such a great job with making the oven mitts!

Susie C said...

hip, hip for Grandma G!
these are just in time for Fall Baking! ooh, you'll be so stylish in these mitts.

Ruth said...

those are fabulous!!! :D orange is such a great color~

Sara said...

ha ... I've got my laptop sitting on a pillow made from that exact same fabric right now! I absolutely love that pattern! :)

(and hooray for awesome Grandma G!)

Ashley A. said...

How perfect! I've been looking for the perfect tutorial for oven mits with matching fabric in my new kitchen---thanks!

Suzanne Anas Jurich said...

Those are awesome!!! ...and I LOVE your fabric!!!

B said...

I love them AND the fabric!

~ www.billiemonster.com ~

Lisa Brown said...

These are great! Adorable!

CC said...

Oh, that was so nice and those mitts look great! I really love the fabric too!

Kimberly said...

Cute! Great job Grandma G!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Wow, those are great oven mitts, in great fabric, with great project hints! Your mom rocks.

Periwinkle Paisley said...

Fun! Those are double special since you created the fabric and she created the mitts.

queen bee tracy said...

What adorable mitts! Your Momma needs to open an Etsy shop and sell cute stuff that she makes from your awesome fabrics. I would SO be a frequent shopper :)

Ashley A. said...

How perfect! I've been looking for a nice simple tutorial to make these for my new kitchen, in blue and orange and gold! :)

Jessica Jones said...

Queen Bee: been there; done that! Had a shop for awhile but closed it due to it being a big time drain that wasn't worth the pennies it made. See here!

Cindy Powers said...

Your mom rocks and so does your fabric.

Sharon said...

I LOVE this idea. I've been wanting oven mitts from target but didn't want to spend the $30...this is way better!

Alyssa said...

Your mom's a gem! And thank you for posting her comments about which tutes she used and what she did. I'm really in the market for some new oven mitts, so this will go on my ever-expanding project list.

jennaalyce said...

Your mum is so sweet, bless her. :)

Nancy T @ The Inky Kitchen said...

I made oven gloves for my foodie friends' Christmas presents last year, they went down a storm!

I'm hoping to make some with my blog logo printed on soon too :)

jamie said...

yay!! i love moms! i've had all the stuff to make these mitts for some time, but your mom has inspired me to get going. thanks for the helpful links!

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who can't get the savvyseams link to open???

Jessica Jones said...

This post is a couple years old, and it looks like the page is no longer there. Shucks!