How to make leather jewelry | How About Orange

April 12, 2010

How to make leather jewelry

Recently I got my hands on a copy of Nathalie Mornu's book Leather Jewelry: 30 Contemporary Projects. Leather isn't something I've ever worked with, but this book makes me want to start. It's like felt in a lot of ways: easy to cut, doesn't ravel, and comes in pretty colors. You can rescue thrift store bags and coats and recycle them into bracelets and earrings and all sorts of goodies. Special supplies like snap setting kits are needed for some of the projects in the book, but others don't require anything fancy. Some of the pieces are too far out there for my taste, but many of the bracelets, cuffs, and earrings are very wearable.

To download a free PDF tutorial for the stamped earrings on the right, head over here and click the corresponding photo.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Leather isn't something I've ever really thought about making/wearing, and as far as jewelry goes I only think of the leather necklace cords when I think of leather+jewelry. Those look super-cute though, especially the earrings. :)

Lori P said...

Wow! I use leather ALL the time. I would love to check this book out. thanks.

Klik said...

I like to work with leather, thanks for link, should chek ;)

Grandma G said...

The bracelet is kinda cute.

Christine said...

I've never thought about working with leather either but that book looks great!

My latest obsession said...

Cute! I was just stopping by to say that I nominated you for the Sunshine Award!

http://mylatestobsession3.blogspot.com/2010/04/sunshine-award.html

Lindsay C said...

Thats awesome ! I always thought about leather but I never know where to get it, or how much it would be. Thrifting for leather is an awesome idea !

Christine said...

ooo these seem cute and easy to make

Lauren Leggatt said...

hey there, I think your blog is totally amazing and beautiful, thats why I have nominated you for beautiful blog award.!

Check it out

http://theperfectpearpair.blogspot.com/2010/04/few-exciting-things.html

linda said...

That is sooo cool! I have a lot of leather and love to figure out how to use it... I actually find cutting a nice edge quite difficult!

Filomena said...

Why is leather ok, but most people are against fur?

I hope everyone tries these cute projects with faux leather. That would be so much kinder :)

Jessica Jones said...

I've wondered that myself. Seems inconsistent, doesn't it?

Becky said...

I'm sure GG can tell you that leather jewelry was "the thing' in the mid 60's through mid-70's. The years! Not our ages! I still have a few cool leather necklaces and bracelets from High School!

I'd probably wear that bracelet and some of the earrings.

printing said...

We all love leather!

coral jewelry said...

Thats awesome ! I always thought about leather.