How to make cut paper frames | How About Orange

May 01, 2008

How to make cut paper frames

It's like making paper snowflakes, only better! I made these cut paper frames with big pieces of origami paper (got them at Blick; they're 9 3/4" square. Not quite this, but close). On your bulletin board or fridge, you could frame postcards, photos, poems, you name it.

Inspiration came from a Japanese book. I can't read it, but you don't need to. Just fold your piece of paper into quarters, colored side to the inside. Sketch your design on with a pencil, making sure it runs off the edge on the two sides with the fold. (See where I marked "FOLD" on the book's example.) If you don't do this, your frame will fall apart. Then cut it out with an X-acto knife and carefully unfold it.

The photos I printed came from the Condé Nast gallery. They sell reproductions of all the gorgeous magazine images there. Have fun browsing.

20 comments:

ames said...

Those are so pretty!

kate said...

Oh man, I'm a recovering snow-flake addict (I'd make them year-round if I could) so this is JUST what I need! :) That yellow one is particularly cool.

Pintoo said...

hey this is pretty... i appreciate u for going through a book which u cannot read and creating such wonderful things.. Have u seen the vinyl decal frames featured in decor8. Link is http://thompsonfamily.typepad.com/thompson_familylife/2008/02/new-home-decor.html

Rozan said...

Those are wonderful! They have given me an idea to try something similar with felt.

Anonymous said...

So cute!

What's the name (or the ISBN) of the book you referred to?

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really love this idea!! It looks fantastic and it's something that I could challenge myself with -and- do with my kids. Thank you!

Jessica Jones said...

I have no idea what the title is, but the ISBN is 978-4-522-42524-4.

Here's the Amazon.jp link:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/くらしを彩る-美しい切り紙-大原-まゆみ/dp/4522425244/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a

Anonymous said...

Yes! "Snowflakes" that I can make in the summer! Like Kate I am also a recovering addict - who is about to relapse... *wanders off to find her papers*

Anonymous said...

That's an etsy windfall waiting to happen! Super cool. Cheers!

Jessica Jones said...

Pintoo, I did see those. Super cool.

Anonymous said...

These are fantastic! They fit right in with my current obsession with "negative space"...

s a n s k u :) said...

Thanks for sharing! What a fun idea!

Petit Elefant said...

Thank you for showing me how to do these. They look like such a fun craft to do with my daughter! You always have such great things here!

FairyDust said...

Hi... would you be kind enough to post some copies of the pages?? or where did u buy the book??? the link is all in a foreing language, cant even order it!! jejejeje

Jen said...

Thanks for the idea. These are great. I too must confess....
Snow-flake addict. I taught my old office how to make snow flakes one day at lunch. We taped them to the windows.

Gillian Mowbray said...

Wonderful paper-cut frames. Thanks for sharing.

Ana said...

This is great! Love the lacy feel with the bold colors! Thanks for sharing!

Sara Dickey said...

love this and the binder clips

thanks for sharing!

AMM blog said...

I did this & they turned out great!

Jessica Jones said...

Awesome!