Bookmarks with vintage fabric | How About Orange

July 08, 2007

Bookmarks with vintage fabric



There's a stack of mystery novels from the library on my coffee table, and I decided it would make me happy to have a cute bookmark to use when reading them. But dragging out all the craft stuff wasn't worth it for just one, and all of grandma's fabric scraps were so lovely that I had to make MORE. So I did a bunch and tossed them into the etsy shop.

To make some like this: Use that super-sticky archival Canson self-adhesive paper and cut shapes in it with an X-acto knife. Peel off the backing, stick fabric pieces on to cover the windows you cut, and adhere a second sheet to form the back. Rounding the corners finishes it off.

[Note: Blick stores are the only place I know to get this self-adhesive Canson paper where it's on clearance because they bought out another retailer and are trying to get rid of it. So if you have a Blick near you, go there and buy some pronto. If not, you could try using either regular Canson paper, available in almost every art store, with some spray adhesive or a glue stick, or find other self-adhesive paper. I've seen little books of self-adhesive solid color cardstock at Walmart or Target—one of those big retailers; I forget which one.]

23 comments:

Leslie said...

very cute! great idea!

Anonymous said...

Wow, they are beautiful! Leafs are allways right and specially in a book!

Jessica Jones said...

Yes! It's sort of a pun! I didn't even think of it until now.

Archana Srinivas Pottery said...

I enjoy your blog everytime I visit...Orange being my favourite colour..:-)

Cheers!
Arch

Anonymous said...

Those are great! And you can never have too many bookmarks. :)

Anonymous said...

How fun. Love those fabrics. Thanks for the how-to as well! :)

Andrea said...

Great idea! I'm going to have to make some (or buy some depending on how lazy I am)!

kickpleat said...

those are great and thanks for providing a tutorial too!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Great idea, I love reading your blog...wish your shop was over here in England

Coloribus said...

That's a beautiful craftwork :o)

Sarah said...

They look great.

all over the map said...

Great idea. So simple and fun. I really *heart* your ideas Jessica.

Anonymous said...

I love Vintage and Vintage sylte fabric and have bought a lot of it at an online store called iluvfabrix.com . This company sells everything at below designer wholesale prices and they have an in house designer that will assist you for free in picking your fabrics and designing your room. They sell Scalamandre, Colefax & Fowler, Cowtan & Tout, Brunschwig & Fils and many, many other high end brands. You can visit them at http://www.iluvfabrix.com

M.S. said...

Amazing idea! I plan to try it out with some of my scrap fabric that I am decorating my dorm with.

xo
Miss S

Anonymous said...

This is really a grt idea :)

Anonymous said...

I was inspired by your bookmarks to try a similar approaching using paper and punches ... very fun. So glad I found your blog.

Anonymous said...

Where can you find the self-adhesive paper? Craft stores?

Estercity said...

A blog copy your idea
http://www.lasmanualidades.com/2007/11/14/marca-libros-sencillos/

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

Love this idea! I just modified it for a teacher gift for all 80 teachers at my kids school.

MrsHull said...

I love this idea! I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to print it in my local MOMS Club's newsletter this month. Thanks!

Fion said...

I'm a newbie at all these craft stuff and I just wanna ask you how do you round off the corners?

Jessica Jones said...

You can either free-hand it with a scissors, or buy a corner punch at a craft store.

Anonymous said...

As an alternative to sticky-backed paper, you could try ironing fusible web onto the back of your paper prior to making the cutouts. Once you have your fabric and backing paper in place, simply iron it all together.